21/06/2013

Russia: US, UN undermining Geneva peace talks on Syria

Russian-foreign-minister-Sergei.Lavrov.jpg

Lavrov slams US, UN for undermining Geneva peace talks on Syria

June 21, 2013

The US must choose whether it wants to stage a peace conference on Syria or keep fueling the rebels’ hopes of victory as it’s impossible to do both things at the same time, Russian Foreign Minister, Sergey Lavrov, said.

Lavrov told Bloomberg that Russia wants to understand if their partners in America and the United Nations are really consistent with the idea of the Geneva 2 conference on Syria as their actions keep sending the wrong message to the country’s opposition. 

The US and its European allies are considering arms supplies and a no-fly zone over Syria to help the rebels in their fight against the forces loyal to president, Bashar Assad. 

“The message the opposition is getting: ‘Guys, don’t go to Geneva. Don’t say that you are going to negotiate with the regime. Soon things will change in your favor.’ So, that’s what we want to clarify. It’s either the conference or the instigation of the opposition not to be flexible. I don’t think it’s possible to do both at the same time,” Lavrov said. 

The Foreign Minister reminded that Russia has been pushing for the peace solution “irrespective of the situation on the ground,” while the West started speaking of a conference only after Assad’s forces began advancing on the rebels.   

“They weren’t ready to discuss it when many people believed that the opposition would take Damascus in recent weeks,”
 he stressed. “If now they’ll be moving in the direction of what some opposition leaders are saying – namely, let’s first restore military balance on the ground and then we’ll go the conference. This’ll be a disaster for all diplomatic efforts because this would never end.” 


According to Lavrov, Russia, the US and the UN are currently working on the list of invitees to the Geneva 2 conference, with two key issues currently being unsolved. 

Read more on: http://rt.com/news/lavrov-syria-geneva-us-084/

ban.obama.look.99.jpg

22:31 Écrit par Jacques dans Latest News, Moscow, Russia, Syria, U.N. | Lien permanent | Commentaires (0) |  Facebook |

18/06/2013

Latest News Syria: U.N. – terrorist groups

Image

Al-Jaafari: UN reports took two years to recognize that terrorist groups recruited children

Jun 17, 2013

Syria’s Permanent envoy to the UN, Bashar al-Jaafari, stressed that the whole world witnessed a series of crimes committed by the armed terrorist groups against children in Syria, however, it took the UN reports two years to recognize that the armed terrorist groups had been recruiting children in their ranks.

“The Syrian government is committed to protecting citizens, particularly children. Any violation of their safety and security will be subject to mechanisms of strict accountability,” al-Jaafari said during the UN Security Council session held to discuss recruiting children in armed conflicts.

“For the first time, the report of the Special Representative of the Secretary-General for Children and Armed Conflict, Leila Zerrougui,  mentioned the crimes and violations of the armed terrorist groups, particularly recruiting children… we regret that it took the special representative more than two years to recognize that,” Syria’s representative said.

We hoped that the special representative would have asked in her recommendations of the report from the countries which are supporting and sponsoring the armed terrorist groups to stop their support and lift their unilateral economic measures imposed on the Syrian people, al-Jaafari added.

Concerning the shelling of schools and hospitals, al-Jaafari stressed that Syria welcomed the special representative in 2012 and she met Syrian officials and the minister of education who provided her with confirmed information showing the volume of terrorism which targeted the educational sector by the armed terrorist groups. She also paid field visits to schools, hospitals and refugee centers in Damascus and Homs and their countryside, but she decided, for some reasons, to ignore what she saw firsthand.

He went on to say that the health sector was targeted by the armed terrorist groups which sabotaged, burned and looted more than 35% of the Syrian hospitals. Syria provided the special representative with videotapes on the preparations of the terrorists to detonate al-Qseir Hospital and the detonation operation itself as well which took place on September 5th, 2012, nevertheless, the report did not mention this crime.

As for killing and mutilating children, Dr. al-Jaafari said the world witnessed a series of appalling crimes committed by the armed terrorist groups against children since the beginning of the crisis; for example, the 14-year-old boy, Mohammad Qattaa, was shot to death by a fundamentalist terrorist group affiliated with Jabhat al-Nusra after they lashed and tortured him before the eyes of his parents accusing him of blasphemy.

Fayssal, a 4-year-old boy, was hanged to death by an extremist terrorist group in Aleppo in late 2012 after he was raped and dragged along on the ground for a long distance, al-Jaafari added.

Syria’s Special Representative reasserted Syria’s commitment to protecting its citizens and children in particular, clarifying that the Syrian government approved a law on May 6th, 2013 on sentencing everyone who recruited children under 18 years old in any form of fighting to hard labor from 10 to 20 years.

F.Allafi

http://sana.sy/eng/22/2013/06/17/488027.htm

13/06/2013

U.N.: Voice of America

Ban-Obama.jpg

The Syrian Foreign Ministry sent two identical letters to the UN Secretary General and President of the security Council about the massacre in Hatla village in Deir Ezzor against scores of citizens, most of them women and children.

Problem is that the U.N. Secretary General and President of the security Council deal only with american interests...

===

Syria calls on UN to condemn massacre of Hatla in Deir Ezzor

Jun 13, 2013

Foreign and Expatriates Ministry said that Jabhat al-Nusra terrorist groups perpetrated on June 12, 2013 a massacre in Hatla village in Deir Ezzor against scores of citizens, most of them women and children because they refused to support their criminal acts.

"The terrorists also looted, burglarized the citizens' properties, burned their houses and attacked and sabotaged the worship places... the websites have broadcasted videotapes documenting Jabhat al-Nusra massacre, instigated by one of the sheikhs of salafis in Kuwait called Shafi al-Ajami who is involved in funding and sending thousands of jihadists into Syria," the Foreign Ministry said in two identical letters sent to the UN Secretary General and President of the security Council.

It added that Syria has repeatedly warned in its pervious letters against the dangers of terrorism and extremism, as well as documented the crimes perpetrated by the armed groups.

"Syria stresses that when a number of states refused to condemn such crimes, they would encourage the terrorist groups to go ahead in their crimes which target the innocent citizens through committing massacres, random shelling on civilian regions in addition to the suicide bombings which even didn't spare the residential buildings, public establishments, mosques, churches as well as assassinating the Islamic and Christian clerks," the Ministry said.

It affirmed that the continuation of some countries in the region and abroad, on top, Qatar, Saudi Arabia and Turkey to offer public and direct support to terrorism in Syria through funding, arming and resorting the armed terrorist groups, in addition to the European latest decision, sponsored by Britain and France, to lift embargo on arming the opposition is a dangerous violation of the legal commitments imposed by the UN Security Council resolutions and the relevant international treaties of counter-terrorism, on top, UNSC resolution 1373 for 2001.  

"The EU decision to allow buying the Syrian oil, stolen by the armed terrorist groups, to sell weapons and military equipment is another violation of the EU states' commitment to curb the financing of terrorism," the letter said. It added that Syria once again warns against the dangers of involvement in supporting al-Qaeda-linked takfiri terrorism practiced by Jabhat al-Nusra and its allies of the "Islamic battalions", as well as the so-called "the Free Syrian Army".

"Syria underlines that some countries' continued calls for arming the opposition or announcing their willingness to arm them under the pretext of changing the military balance won't only support terrorists, but this uncovers the hidden intentions of those states to obstruct efforts to reach a political solution among the Syrians.

"Putting those facts in front of the UN Security council, Syria calls on it to assume its responsibilities, in light of its relevant resolutions of counter-terrorism, to condemn the massacre in Hatla village and call on the countries involved in supporting terrorism in Syria to stop such practices which pose a threat to the security and stability in Syria and the region," the Foreign Ministry concluded.

Mazen

http://sana.sy/eng/21/2013/06/13/487451.htm

02/12/2012

U.N. support for the Palestinian people ?

card.Palestine.jpg

Israeli plans to build unspecified thousands of new settler units in the controversial strip of land known as E1 around Al Quds...

Israel, U.S. and U.N.

1) On November 15, 2010, U.S. President Barack Obama praised Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu for urging his cabinet to accept a U.S. proposal to extend a freeze on West Bank settlement building for 90 days. Under the plan, Washington would block UN resolutions critical of Israel, and supply Israel with fighter jets worth $3 billion. The US government also promised Israel that after the 90-day moratorium, they would not seek an extension, and settlement construction in the West Bank and East Jerusalem (all of which is illegal under international law) could continue unabated.

2) In February 2011, more than 100 nations voted for a U.N. resolution that would have condemned illegal Israeli settlements and halted any new construction. The United States vetoed it.

3) On February 19, 2011, Israel said it was 'deeply grateful to the United States' after it vetoed a United Nations resolution put forward by the Palestinian leadership condemning Israeli settlement activity.

4) On  Oct 27, 2011, Israeli jetfighters engaged in aerial bombing of the Palestinian city of Khan Yunes in the Gaza Strip.